Scattered Sunshine

Scattered Sunshine
My scattered thoughts on the Web-o-sphere

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Ninja hugs, Iron Chef and Whipping Cream Hates Me!

Okay, first is last, which is as it should be. One of the best moments of this week was when I confronted Daniel about his habit of all of a sudden coming up and giving me what I had come to think of as Attack hugs. I asked him what the deal was, and he said that they were "Ninja Hugs.... cuz you never see 'em coming." BWA HA HA. Being a Mom is so much fun, and with kids like mine the laughs come a mile a minute.


This is the recipe that I used in our Iron Chef demonstration at Relief Society. I am hoping I get how to do this now and get it where I want in my post, so if it's not where I think it will be, the recipe is what I am talking about. We did Iron Chef Beans and it was really fun. I wish I could make money cooking on TV and talking about it. This recipe is one I stole from the Better Homes and Garden cookbook but I've tweaked it and made it our own. It is Randy, Stephen and my favorite soup. DEEE-LISH! I also provided the food from my own food storage this week for that meeting. I used Home canned chicken, strawberry lemonaid concentrate (that's a new one for me and canning and it is fabulous), My own home canned peach pie filling that I think tastes divine, and all of the recipes (other than the store bought rolls, sigh, not my doing) were stuff you could make out of stuff that you should keep in your three month storage. If you make one meal a week out of your food storage (and replace it!) you can rotate your food storage in a year. True story. So do it.


The final bit is an homage to my battles with whipping cream this week. Last Friday night I ran the kitchen for a friend's wedding. They served crepes, and they wanted me to assemble the filling out of some whipping cream that I needed to whip and some pudding that was already prepared. Well, the kitchen in the place they did their wedding had NOTHING, and I needed to use the one and only bowl they had for it, but it wasn't quite deep enough and it kept spitting whipping cream at me. It wasn't quite the disaster pictured though, but I kept thinking, "Oh if I only had my kitchen aid, this would be so much easier. I could let it run and walk away, blah blah blah..." So on Tuesday for Relief Society, my dear friends gave me some of the left over cream from the wedding to use at the midweek meeting. I brought my kitchen aid, assuring myself that this was going to be a snap. Well, either I am not used to my new kitchen aid, or I really need the spout thing that keeps the food in, because it didn't just spit the cream out, it vomited it out. I ended up having to MacGuyvering the thing with plastic bags to keep it from totally dousing the church kitchen with whipping cream. DANG IT!!! I should have brought my Bosch....

No comments:

Post a Comment