Scattered Sunshine

Scattered Sunshine
My scattered thoughts on the Web-o-sphere

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Elder Teddy: New report

A lot of my missionary mom friends out there are having a wonderful day today because they get to hear from their boys who are away. I am happy for them! I remember the days on my mission, calling my mother (hoping to get through the totally tied up phone lines on that day was a joke at times) I only had one out there I think.....yeah, but it was a good one.
I am lucky because I get to see my missionary grow right before my very eyes. It is weird to think that next year he might not be here, but in Salt Lake and working at redeeming the dead up there. He has had a lot of opportunities to work the floor this week. He has been the host, been at the copy center, helped people with computer issues, and hardest for him, worked the phones. He said that the second time was easier because the person training him didn't mess him up so badly that time. The phone thing is a point of nervousness with him, but I am encouraged that they actually used him on the phone and on the floor this week. That must mean that they trust him to help the public appropriately. He says he can't decide whether he likes going to class or working the floor better, because he is finding them both enjoyable.
The other momentous news this week is that we got a date for his temple endowment. It was quite the adventure. The bishop asked us to schedule the date before his birthday so that they can set him apart as a missionary right after his birthday, as this is the official start to his mission. I called and the lady at the appointment desk asked me if he was going on a mission. I told her that he was technically already on his mission, because he was serving at the Family History Library. She put me on hold and then got back on and told me that traditionally, missionaries called to service missions didn't get their endowments out to serve in that capacity. I would have to get the bishop to call and verify that the stake president knew what was going on. I was totally confused by this, I mean, I let her know that the bishop and stake president were the ones that had decided this. So Friday night, which was Stake Temple Night, we went in there, planning on meeting the bishop there and taking him in to talk to them on person (we had set this up ahead of time). The bishop never showed up (we later found out that this was because he and his wife had been asked to do sealings when they had come in... but I digress). Randy got antsy (and me too I might add) and decided to go see at least where to take the bishop when he did show up, and he talked to the lady at the appointment desk (hopefully not the same one but I didn't think so because our results were so not the same). She saw the temple president passing by and talked to him about our predicament, and found out that the sister who had told me to get the bishop to call in was in the wrong, it was not the temple's business to "screen" people before they could get their endowments, because if the stake president saw fit to give them a recommend, that was good enough for the temple. So we got a date, May 22, at 8:00 a.m. Reflecting on this experience has made me wonder at how hard it seems to be for Ted to get the wishes of his heart sometimes. He was really worried about the temple thing. I wonder what kind of strength and fortitude will be necessary for him to develop to live the life that Heavenly Father has in store for him. I am certain he will succeed. After all, he is MY son. Happy Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment