Scattered Sunshine

Scattered Sunshine
My scattered thoughts on the Web-o-sphere

Sunday, March 28, 2010




Saturdays are usually busy for me and yesterday was no exception. It starts early with Weight Watchers first thing at 7:00 a.m. I go to that meeting because it's early so usually no one plans stuff for me during that time, and because I like Bob, the leader. He is funny, and wise and NOT PERFECT. It's his imperfections and struggles with maintaining that make his so approachable.
We bought the 5th Fablehaven book Friday night and they told us that the author, Brandon Mull, would be signing books the next night, and that at 9:00 they would be passing out tickets to expedite the book signing. I came home, worked on a recipe for my recipe files and headed off to get the tickets. I should have gone earlier because they did them according to letters of the alphabet, and I got I... but more on that later.
I came home desiring to commit a random act of cleanliness on my fridge, which has been cluttered and gross for a while now. Didn't happen. Samantha and Emmanuel decided that for Dad's birthday we should all go to "How to Tame a Dragon" at 11:30. She told us that she was going to go at 10:30, because it is the opening weekend and she was worried about getting in. We got there at 10:30, but they weren't there. (snicker) It was a good thing, because we forgot our movie cups so we had them pick them up. The movie was AWESOME! Why is it that when Hollywood makes children's movies anymore they are witty, and deep, and great but when they make normal movies they are vulgar, and crass, and shallow???? Can't they do both kinds of movies good???? I would give "How to Tame a Dragon" 5 stars. Loved it. Want it on Blue Ray. It's one you could watch several times with the kids and not get annoyed.
When we got home I had to leave right away to a shower for a young lady in our ward who is getting married in 2 weeks. It was a pantry shower, and they had asked for a recipe card, so I didn't give her my usual Digital Recipe book; I will be giving her that for her wedding I guess. It was fun to shop for a few things that she might need in her pantry. I got to thinking about how there are so many things that we should have in our personal pantries when we are preparing to get married. A little patience, a little humility, a little humor... I think that one thing this little bride appreciated about her future husband was that he valued her not only for her physical beauty, but for her spiritual depth. If everyone looked for that in a spouse, there would be better marriages out there, that's for sure.
After coming home from that enjoyable shower, I finally got to commit an act of cleanliness for my kitchen. I not only cleaned out my fridge, but I cleaned another nasty area and did a thorough job of the counters. I love having a cleaned out fridge. All the old nasty stuff is gone and everything else looks great and is easy to find. Another thing that you find out when you clean out your fridge is what you really have. No more guessing when making the grocery list. I could be all deep and analougous and relate this to how repentance does the same thing for our soul, but I will spare you. Draw your own analogy. I dare you.
After the fridge was properly cleaned, we set out to enjoy our visit with Brandon Mull. Because we were letter "I" we ended up waiting for just over 2 hours to get our 2 seconds of time with him. Ashley took advantage of the time by having her face painted and making a mask. I love Brandon Mull's writing style. He has flawed characters, moral lessons to be learned, and good action and fun. I am only on chapter 3 because of my busyness, but I am sure I will finish it by the end of the week and have a proper review. So far it's action packed.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had a blog! I've only read the first Fablehaven...it was good but I hope the kids are more obedient in the second book. Yay for blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a blog because I copy the most excellent people (that would be you dear). And I don't know, Seth is never extremely obedient sometimes in the books, but his character is very REAL to me. I like that. Plus I like the action. Plus Harry Potter wasn't very obedient, now was he??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have a blog!!!! I didnt know, but i do now :D Emily got to go to a release party tues night for Fablehaven with the author and illustrator and who knows who else. I couldn't go because of school, but she had a BLAST. Said he was very nice. Glad you guys liked him to.

    ReplyDelete